Sunday, July 27, 2014

Flags for Peace and wooden covers

We have quite a bit on over the next wee while so are trying hard to stay ahead and if possible get in front. So I was really pleased to finish my contributions to Flags for Peace and International Day of Peace on 21 September.

I have done some flags from old book pages which will hang on our verandah; I am continuing to make peace weathergrams that will hang on the tree at the top of the driveway and I have made two small indoor peace flags which will hang in the house or near the front door...

The main peace flags hanging in the shed-studio. It is such a funky little building with these swinging stain glass panelled doors heading into the bathroom...


The two internal flags - pebbles for peace!





It also looks as if there might be the opportunity to have some items in a new fine furniture and timber gallery-shop nearby, so I have made a couple of books that can be used as guest books. My sense is that people could have these books out at events (weddings, birthdays, farewells etc) and folk could write a message on the nice pages and the recipient would have a lovely memento of the day.




 These two wee concertina books have lovely huon pine covers and the words congratulations and celebrations written in calligraphy along the edges of the pages.




There's always a little bit of something going on...

9 comments:

  1. = ) What cool and creative projects!
    Your work is always so modern and traditional at the same time...NICE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue - I always like to think we can bring the old into the new, with respect for traditions, and also the times in which we live. Go well.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful diverse projects Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diversity is certainly the name of the game over here at the moment Louise - my head is going in a bunch of directions!

      Delete
  3. wat een mooie reeks werken, prachtige ontwerpen en mooi afgewerkt !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a beautiful series of works, exquisite designs and beautifully finished!

      Thanks so much Marleen! A little bit of this and a little bit of that...

      Delete
  4. Fiona, you certainly are constantly busy! The peace flags are lovely. I also really like the books with wooden covers; wood and paper go together so well. The memento books are a great idea, and hopefully will sell well for you in the shop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Fiona. I'm totally smitten with your peace pebbles, especially on the rust dyed ( I think?) surface. So wonderful. I must come back and scroll through all the inspiration I've missed this past month and a half while I was in full-on house renovation here. Thanks for all your offerings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your peace flags - it's a beautiful tradition. I especially love the smoothness/shininess of those lettered pebbles against the 'weathered'-looking papers. And, with their wooden covers, the books for the furniture/timber gallery look as though they will fit right in - lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.