Sunday, February 15, 2015

Days of progress

The weekend has really been a time of consolidation. Of finishing some projects, of pushing others along and of making preparations for others.  It was a very satisfying time all round and I feel good about all the bits and pieces I achieved.

At the workshop last weekend, Helen I reminded me of some pen-holders that Carol Du Bosch makes and which were featured in Bound and Lettered.  They are simple to make and feel good in the hand. I was quite conscious of how much penholders cost as I recently bought some - but couldn't afford as many as I would have liked so this seemed like a great opportunity.  I went a little bit over board...



A pencil sharpener chamfered the ends nicely.



Ta - da! I have since transferred several orphan nibs into their new holders and it makes me happy to look at them.


I am selling my calligraphy pebbles down at Caloundra Regional Gallery and had a phone call that more were needed!  A rather nice problem to face, so I am head down ink out and writing both upper and lower case letters on pebbles, and will deliver a new batch this week I hope.



I made a slip case for a book I had swapped with Caren Florence. She mentioned she referenced my A Subversive Stitch often when she taught and would love a copy of her own - I found one in my studio and we swapped - her offering was Learning Absences a book based on a poem by Rosemary Dobson and made as part of Book Art Object.  I treasure this book and wanted it to be safe.  I made a light slip case for it and wrote in ultramarine watercolour on black - nice result!


I found time to finish my homework from the workshop - two wee books with covers using the techniques we learnt.


Barry's work is selling well at Maleny Additions, a beautiful homewares shop in town, and I had to do more labels for him. This is the second batch of 10 in two weeks so that's great news.


I am anticipating a small job coming up soon and have prepared pages and some covers just to be ready...



And I had a play with a nice long, thin strip of paper writing words about peace.  Still waiting to complete it, but am edging closer.


The biggest chunk of time on the weekend went towards finishing my burning book - part of my collaboration with Susan.  We have until the end of the month to complete it so I really had to push it along this weekend.  It is now nearly there; I think I have done the hardest of the yards and hope the next phase is simpler.  I sat down to write notes on everything I had done for it so far (for future reference) and was amazed at the many stages and details involved - made me tired just looking back over it! Lucky it has been spaced out over several months.  Soon it will be done.

It has been productive time in the studio and I have been really enjoying myself - life is good.

8 comments:

  1. Just caught up with all of the last few posts. You have been mega-busy! Loved the pencil work. Such delicate shading and choice of colours. Those pen holders are a nifty idea too and it's great to hear that your latest collaboration is nearing completion as that means we'll get to see new books soon - how come you seem to fit so much more into 24 hours than I do Fiona?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been a lot on Lesley - and lots of opportunities to do something as well so I guess it all comes together...
      The penholders are great! And yes, our burning books will appear soon - stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. your amazing productivity inspires me. i just love your letter stones, love my "peace".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some times are definitely more productive than others Velma - this felt like one of them! I have just packaged up more pebble letters to send off - they are lovely and tactile and I love that you love yours too! Go well.

      Delete
  3. Love those pen holders, and your stones, I love mine. All in all sounds like a good week end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a good weekend Penny - so glad you enjoy your pebbles and the penholders have worked out great! Go well.

      Delete
  4. delicious - all of it. From the pen holders to the homework and then peace .... A good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good time has been had! So much variety as well - helps my hard to settle brain...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.