Sunday, May 17, 2015

Markers

It is Family Violence awareness month here in Australia and I am constantly devastated by the many women who are killed by partners or former partners.  And it's not just the deaths.  I think about all the women who survive, who escape and make new lives for themselves.  I think about the shelter we have provided at different times for women leaving abusive relationships where they were controlled and dominated and made to feel fearful in oh so many ways.


And so I make books.

I am making 52 small books to mark and acknowledge that each week in 2014 at least one woman was killed by a partner or former partner.  That number has almost doubled so far this year to two per week and my heart is filled by sadness and despair at the thought.

I am counting the women on the front cover - hand stitching the numbers from 1-52.  I acknowledge the work of Destroy The Joint and the UK based organisation Counting Dead Women in keeping track of these deaths and increasing our awareness.

I worked out that there are 1,399 upright strokes to be stitched, and then a further 100 or so horizontal stitches to be made. It is taking a long time and as I sit and stitch I send healing thoughts to their families and to those who are living in fear.



Inside the there are pages which are embossed, and further pages that are letterpress printed. One of these pages also contains a page where I have drawn and burnt a pattern (similar to the grid I was working on). Each pattern is unique and marks each woman as unique.  I have added the clock parts again, to recognise that it is time for change. Lots and lots of layers.







I'm nowhere near finished. I have stitched 30 covers - lots still to do, then pierce the pages and cover and hand-stitch the books. And house them.

This is slow work. Painstaking work. Each single book takes time, but 52 take a long long time. I don't want to have to do 104 books next year, but I fear I may.

16 comments:

  1. So many layers of meaning ... such sadness at the cause for this contemplation ... you have wrested terrible beauty from tragedy, a fitting tribute to the lives lost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz, the making is ongoing, as is the need to stop this terrible loss of life. Go well.

      Delete
  2. Powerful! And so sad, yet so moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candy - I think when I have 52 made, the sense of them all together will be special. Go well.

      Delete
  3. Such a thoughtful, heartfelt project Fiona. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo - it feels a small response; yet hopefully a powerful one too. Go well.

      Delete
  4. this little one is a goody Fiona - can see how this ties in with the wall piece now ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found the story! I only had 42 to start with 7 x 3 (x 2) but then worked out the story needed 52; and the role of the clock parts...the unique nature of each burning pattern, it came together. I started to make a book that just had the 52 patterns attached to pages, and then realised no, it deserves more and the long hard work began...go well.

      Delete
  5. A very moving tribute that also points to the depth of the problem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dijanne - for stopping by and for commenting too. It is hard to find ways to make this reality known and understood, but as you say, this is my tribute and my contribution.

      Delete
  6. Those are some hard statistics to fathom, and thinking about it really does make me feel so helpless/powerless. It's wonderful that you've found a way to acknowledge what's happening to these poor souls, and I have to believe that the time & energy you are putting into these books can only do good. If anything, your many readers here are more aware, and awareness is an essential first step in the right direction... Brava -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - I'm sure the figures are as bad if not worse in other places; but we hear so little of it here that it seems to have been accepted because it was 'in the family' or some such. Time to bring it out into the light I think. The quiet contemplative time with the stitching is a way of sending energy and healing and hope...and sharing the message. Thanks again, go well.

      Delete
  7. I am sure anyone reading your post Fiona will feel your healing energies, as I - being a survivor of two abusive relationships (in my past) and over a 17 year stint. Once I found the nerve to break the silence, learning people cared for me and my situation was enough to give me strength to leave, seek counseling to break the cycle on being the victim and pursue alternatives for a better life - as you know, I am now in a wonderful relationship and heading into our 15th year together - leaving the abuse relationships and violence behind me was the best thing I ever did and I've not looked back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim - you are one of the ones I think about who have escaped and started over; and have found love, happiness and freedom. So good. It is so hard to leave; so many factors weigh against you; but wonderful when you can and do. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.