Sunday, January 6, 2013

A potpourri of peace...

The end of last year brought some terrible and difficult times across the world, with much sadness alongside them.  Somehow this just made me feel the need to keep working towards peace and encouraging peace in more and more ways, and so I have come to the view that I am going to focus a bit more on peace in my art this year.

Just before Christmas I wrote these peace pebbles as part of the Christmas Tree Festival at the local Uniting Church. They complemented a tree made by the Christian Meditation group which was all about peace in different languages.



A day or two before Christmas, instead of going for our usual walk, Barry and I got up a ladder and unfurled the peace weathergrams that were still attached to the tree at the top of our drive more than three months after they were first hung.


They are weathered and weathering, and wearing...but their message is enduring.



I have recently had a few different folk (who have just worked out where we live), ask me about the tree and the weather-grams and say how much they love them. It's nice that people notice them as they walk and that they care about them.


The first piece of art I did for the new year was to sit in the studio and working with black paper, write "imagine peace" a few times.

I like these.  The first one uses metallic inks, the second and third are just coloured pencils on different papers.



I'm not sure where they are going, but am just happy to have them about me for now. 

22 comments:

  1. a meditation - a motivation - an inspiration... yes imagine peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days when I watch the news or read the newspaper I am unable to imagine peace at all in some parts of the world Fiona. But one must never stop believing and doing what we can to change that. Just by reminding us in such a strong visual way, you do that so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has to be in small, daily ways Lesley...I can't stop Syria but I can reach out here and there.

      Delete
  3. Your choice of materials & 'structure' for expressing PEACE seems so natural & enduring, as if peace is building with the stones and reaching up through the roots. And it looks as though you enjoyed your work with 'peace' in the studio as well - I like the stained glass-type of effect. I can think of no better new year's resolution than to be more peace-conscious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - the steadfast nature of the materials does go with the message - endurance, persistence...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Jane - a bit of an odd mix, but they each have their strengths.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year, Fiona. After what happened in Connecticut, I am finding myself wanting to make more art works that are about healing and also Peace. I am looking forward to tackling the alaw Peace alphabet and expanding on these concepts. Maybe if enough of us try to remind others to imagine Peace, we will come closer to it.--Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Julie - doing something feels better than feeling helpless; and you never know who you touch with your work do you? The alphabet theme will be interesting and quiet beautiful to observe I am sure.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Valerianna - they look good all together!

      Delete
  7. beautiful,fiona -
    the pebbles and the weather-grams - your calligraphy work is so lovely... i like the work you are showing in the last shots... sometimes, the process can personally be more important than where something is going... like a working meditation...
    but the pieces you share always shine light and send forth such an important message -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much MJ - that bit about the process and a working meditation is perfect. I felt that in writing those words I was somehow helping it happen, sending the energy out into the world...it felt right and good to be doing it.

      Delete
  8. those pebbles brought tears to my eyes. if only we saw peace in/on every pebble, yours are reminders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Velma - I am touched, these pebbles are small and humble, yet they resonate. Finding peace in every pebble would be a grand thing. Get well...

      Delete
  9. I, too, was moved by your Peace tree, F & B, and surprised to see how well it is weathering. We all need to concentrate on peace, day in, day out. Your pebbles are beautiful, as are your drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's lovely to share the tree Carol and see how it is going - I find it remarkable! think I will hold off adding any more until I see how this crop fare further down the line. Peace in our hearts and in our lives is a start...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peace arising from the pebbles and the papers and the pencils... It is only fitting, I think, that it come out of the humble and non-pretentious materials, the elemental ones. They make the sturdiest and most commonly shared building blocks. Peace, Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ersi you have captured the nature of it so beautifully - steadfastness and elemental, humble yet powerful - thank you!

      Delete
  12. ~fiona...i am at peace from reading your words...seeing your art shared in so many clever creative ways...i would have never thought of messages within the trees..love! be well and may blessings and peace be with you always~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi - the weathergrams have been a wonderful and beautiful thing; easy to make and fly and yet so powerful. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.