Thursday, February 16, 2017

Thursday Thoughts...

“I will love the light because it shows me the way. Yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.” 

Og Mandino

This quote has been with me a long time, and it asked to be used today.  I have enjoyed flicking over it each time I prepare for my Thursday Thoughts post; but today it resonated more and reflected a bit about the way I am feeling at the moment.

iI is almost a truism I suppose: light showing the way; dark exposing things we couldn't see in the light. A simple idea which has probably been used for centuries to help us all make sense of the ups and downs of our world.

At the moment, it feels perfectly pertinent as we face so many distressing situations throughout the world. So many examples of ugliness and nastiness, all predicated on fear or greed or intolerance.  The number of times I have shaken my head with sadness and disbelief in the past month alone have been almost too numerous to count.

But yet.

In amongst all of the awfulness I am buoyed; my spirits are lifted; I am elated, by the rallying of good people with kind intentions all around. From the Women's marches and rallies; to people appearing at airport terminals; to small acts of kindness between strangers. These stars are shining, and they have come out, because the times feel so dark.

These little sparks of light convince me that there is hope; that with kindness and care we will get there.


Linoprint detail from Starry Starry Night.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this today, Fiona. Sharing your feelings all around. Keep creating beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Leslie, creation of beautiful things helps keep the dark at bay...go well

      Delete
  2. What an inspiring quote to share...and the lovely words/thoughts you've added... Unfortunately, darkness is just a part of life, and we can either let it bring us down or keep focusing on the best of every situation. I love the very fitting metaphor of the stars.
    In terms of surviving/overcoming the ugliness in the world, some words of wisdom from my mountain biking days come to mind, "Keep your eyes on where you want to go," i.e., not on the steep drop next to you (!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not being distracted by ugliness is important isn't it? Always a balance between being aware of it; but not being overwhelmed by it...And yes, darkness is always there, but I love the notion about how in the hardest or most difficult of times, it encourages more and more of us to shine. Go well!

      Delete
  3. so easy to let the negativity rule, taking a step back and thinking it over has become my habit. and yes, joy comes through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must all find a way mustn't we V? So much to distract us - we need to acknowledge it, do something if we can, and move on and make...go well

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.