Thursday, October 5, 2017

Thursday Thoughts...

“It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.” 

 Carl Sagan 

These words seem so apt when we live in the time of fake news and opinions being weighted equally with expertise or facts.

I try to be open-minded, open to new and other possibilities; open to the notion that I am not all-knowing and that others know more, have searched more or learned more than me.  But I am wary now too of being so open-minded that you can be left considering some dumb stuff that isn't true or even factual.

So perhaps the job today is to be open-minded, then check everything.

Which is far less catchy than Sagan's description of your brains falling out!

Reading the Palm trees, Dadang Christanto, 2008, Darwin.

2 comments:

  1. (((Fiona))) I feel like my brains has fallen out this morning and flown to the Moon!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.