Thursday, May 17, 2018

Thursday Thoughts...

“It doesn’t matter what you do so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that’s like you after you take your hands away.” 

Ray Bradbury

This is probably a really nice way to think about a life and a lifetime - that somewhere, sometime we touched something and it changed. Not so much that it changed into something that's like you; but that it changed into something that was intrinsically linked to you somehow.

I think it is ever so true about making art.

I love that something can begin as nothing - a blank page; a ball of wool; a metal offcut; a chunk of timber; a piece of lino; a stack of blank pages; a slab of clay; a length of fabric - and then become something in your hands.

After you have brought to that blankness some of you: your essence; your will; your skill; your creativity; your wishes; your dreams; your protests; your fears...you engage with it and it is transformed into something else completely.

Something that is of you.

Alchemy and magic...


Even when you pick up some stones and some pebbles, you can create something.
A holiday cairn, Hokitika, New Zealand, 2012.

10 comments:

  1. such a beautiful honouring to the spirits of place

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the Ray Bradbury quote and for your thoughts upon it. I feel like making something now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely thought isn't it Dana? I too went forth and made today!

      Delete
  3. F - and sometimes we change it simply by connecting with it and giving it a little bit or our attention and positive energy. Thanks for this great TT. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiona - Your posts touch me and I am changed ... thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Liz... it never ceases to amaze me how we find words and meanings that are just so right sometimes. I love this one. Go well

      Delete
  5. I love your refinement of the Bradbury quote...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Dee - I like the slight variation better too - and even better when I think of it as a refinement! I have no need for things to be more like me (heaven forbid) but I like to think they may have an essence of me, the of feels right...Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.